Friday, June 6, 2014

We Are Children Holding Hands Around The World.....

So a couple of weeks ago I was privileged to be apart of the Children's Cultural Olympics put on by students in the higher IPB classes. It was a fantastic Idea...  We had it in the little circle with the flags of the different countries waving proudly around us.

There were some local and TVA children come over we had 12 tables set up to represent the different cultures and then The children went around doing activities at each of the tables being run by those from the different countries.

I was in charge of the Aotearoa/ New Zealand table. I talked to them a little bit about being from NZ  taught them the greeting word, Kiaora and then I taught them a little Maori song, this is it......



I even made them Jump around a bit but it was extremely hot that morning so I made them stop after a while because although culture is important it's not worth fainting over ;) . In doing this I hope the children in some way could feel that children in New Zealand have similarities to them. That's what I think was so beautiful about that activity. How powerful it would be for children to understand from a young age that although children from other parts of the world are different from them they still have similar outside triangles ( google - outside triangles+ Arbinger institute for more details) and they are people not objects. If this was the case then a lot of the conflict that exists today in adults may not be an issue. IMAGINE THAT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment